Thursday, October 15, 2015

It Was a "DOG" Day Morning and Afternoon!


    When John got back from his walk we discussed our plans for the day.  We weren't quite sure what we wanted to do.  He also showed me some neat pictures of 3 Roseate Spoon Bills that he saw on his walk today.
There are the 3 of the Roseate Spoon Bill's.  I think
the other ones are Wood Storks.
 
 
It's interesting how they stand on one foot!
 
Aren't their beaks a hoot!?!
 
  We had our leftover hunky eggs for breakfast and then our plans were decided for us in a hurry!  I walked back to the bedroom to brush my teeth and John pointed out to me that Kylie was walking really weird.  I watched her and it was all she could do to hold up her back end.  She looked like she was drunk!  I picked her up and sat on the sofa with her and I noticed that her eyes were glassy and they kept moving left to right real fast.  Her breathing was a bit labored, too.  All I could think of was she had a stroke and at the very least there was something neurological going on, like a brain tumor or something.  We immediately called a vet we had seen on our way to Walmart called Cheek to Cheek.  It was about 11:30 by now and they couldn't see us until 3:00!  Needless to say, we were very worried!!  I put her back down on the carpet and she seemed OK as long as she was laying down, so we decided to take a walk around the CG and look at some of the different screen houses that people have.  It was a beautiful morning as a cold front came through last night and got rid of all of the humidity.  The temp was in the low 70's.  There sure are many different styles of screen houses!!  We stopped to talk to one of the fellow campers who we had chatted with earlier last week.  He and his wife were telling us all about theirs and during our chat we realized that he was traveling with the couple from Manheim that we had also met earlier last week!  We thanked them for all the helpful info and then headed back to Harvey to get ready to go to the vet.  Everyone there was wonderful and Dr Hall quickly diagnosed Kylie with Geriatric Central Vestibular Disease.  Basically, it's a sudden onset of dizziness in older dogs most often caused by an inner ear issue.  They are not really sure why it happens.  It can also be infected brain fluid or a brain tumor.  But usually, especially with Kylie's rather mild symptoms, they treat it less aggressively first.  They gave her a shot of anti-nausea medicine and then tomorrow she will start on antibiotics, anti-nausea and motion sickness meds.  That was a quick $170 we didn't plan on spending today!!  Oh, well, she's worth it (I think :)  We got home about 4:30.  I made  some grilled roast beef and cheese sandwiches for supper and we were able to ate them outside.  Between the spraying and the cold front that went through the bugs had eased up.  Yea!!!  Then I started working on all the sand dollars we found yesterday.  I have to put them all in soapy water and shake them back and forth in the water until I get all or most of the sand and leftover "meat" out of them.  That took me about 2 hours.  Then I put them in a 50/50 bleach and water solution for about 20 minutes.  My bucket isn't real big, so I have to do about 10 at a time, so it took a while.  We took a break, and decided to go to DQ for ice cream so the sand dollars could dry (that sounds good, doesn't it?!?)  Bonnie called and we caught up on each others lives.  We must have talked for at least a half hour!  Then off to DQ...yum!   We only saw 2 deer on the way back.  We figured they must be in playing with the antelope somewhere.  When we got back I thinned out Elmers white glue and painted one side of the sand dollar, let that dry, and then painted the other side.  John helped me paint the second side of half of them.  We got done about 10:30!  My wire shell basket is just about full!! 
Room for just a couple more!
Then we went to bed.  It was so beautiful outside today.  It's a shame we couldn't be on the beach.  Tomorrow, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment