Monday, October 26, 2015

Visited St. Simon Island Again

   We had checked the weather yesterday and knew that today was going to be a "gray" day, so we decided to go over to St. Simon for breakfast on a recommendation from Wanda and Wally.
  Sandcastle Café and Grill is located just off the pier on the main drag in St. Simon.  Their breakfast buffet (which we just discussed we weren't going to do anymore) is pretty unique.  For $10.95 you can order eggs any way you want them, pancakes, French toast and/or waffles. You can have as many of those as you want. Then there is 3 kinds of sausage, bacon, hash browns, corned beef hash, plain and cheese grits, sausage gravy, biscuits, muffins, fruit, yogurt and juices.  It also includes coffee and tea (hot and iced).  It was very good and we did good, too.  We both only had one trip to the buffet, some eggs and each had 1 piece of French toast (me) and a waffle (John).  When we were just about finished Claudia (the gal and her husband, Larry, who we met our first week here) called.  She said they have been thinking about us and just wanted to check in.  It was so wonderful to talk with her and catch up a bit.  We are definitely going to try to hook up in Florida.  John went to find a bathroom and I went into "Tonya's".  There was a beautiful home-made "corn hole" game sitting up against one of the display shelves.  It caught my eye right away because we have been talking about getting one.  But the good ones are pricey and we decided to let the kids go together to get that for us for Christmas if they wanted a suggestion.  So I kept on looking around and John came in the store.  Right away he said to me," did you see that corn hole game... it's really neat!".  He doesn't usually get that excited about a game and it was expensive, so I was surprised.  We decided it was so unique and well made that it would be our birthday and Christmas gifts to each other this year.
 

 
Pretty neat, huh?

  John went out walking.
This a female grackle.  The male is all black.
They are very "verbal" birds!

Love when the sun glistens on the water!

You can see Jekyll Island from St. Simon's

Pretty lighthouse!  Don't know the history... shucks!

This pelican posed for John.

"You are getting sleepy... very, very sleepy"

Mommy and baby whale sculpture in the park.
 I went to "One of a Kind" to get more boxes of cheese dips and to "Nature Gifts" jewelry store.  I had bought a bunch of things there the last time we were on the Island and I just had to look again.  Of course, I found some more things, but I wasn't sure if they matched what I had gotten before. 
Albert, the pig was going for a salad with his owner.
We left about 2:30 and the plan was I was going to come right back with my previous purchases to match them.  I was back on St Simon by 3:45 and took care of business.  I stopped at the Winn Dixie on the way home for a few groceries.  There just happened to be a Tuesday Morning next door. I hadn't been in one of them since I lived in York, so I felt a calling.  I found a few things, but nothing major.  While I was there Arlena called and we chatted for a while.  Both babies are breech right now.  Hopefully, they will turn in the next couple of weeks.  If not she will most likely have a C-section on or about Dec 3rd. I got back about 5:30 and started to make supper.
This is the toll booth about 2 miles from the entrance to Jekyll Island.
It costs $6 per car to get in daily, but there is a weekly discount ticket for $28.
Interestingly, you can get a yearly pass for $48, so that's what we got.  They
put a sticker on your windshield that has a chip.  Of course, you have to figure
out how much you will leave the Island in a week to have it pay off!
 

Saw these deer on my way home.



Here they are all together.  Never get tired of their beauty!
   My phone rang and it was Tori, a gal I used to work with at UAL.  I was even in her wedding!  We had lost touch for the last 10 or 12 yrs.  And I have tried numerous times to find her, without any luck.  About a week and a half ago TW texted me to tell me that he saw her on Facebook.  I asked him to contact her for me, but he forgot.  I asked him again and WO-LA she contacted me.  It was neat to hear from her after all these years and catch up a bit.  We're going to get together when we get back.  She is still in York Co.  I finished up supper, we ate and then it was time for "The Voice".
We finally got some pix of the new screened house.
It works really well for us.  It was so great to watch
football on Sat and Sun without getting all bit up!!

  John went into the bedroom to watch TV.  He went to bed right after 10:00 and I watched more TV while uploading the pictures from the camera.  I was going to work on my blog, but I was too tired, so I went to bed about 12:00.  Tomorrow looks like another rainy day :(, so I'm not sure what we're going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment